Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Mother Wit Disclosed

Another attorney on the blogosphere, sharing her opinions (as learned from her mother) about love, life and living. Webster's New World Dictionary defines the term "mother wit" as native intelligence; common sense. The word "disclose" means to bring to view; uncover; to reveal; make known. I have been richly blessed in my life with great women who have nurtured, advised and shared with me the ways of the world -- essentially mother wit. The purpose of this blogspot is to disclose what I have learned from my mother, aunts and grand mothers about love, life and living and share it with you. After you read my blog, you won't be able to say I didn't tell you.

Joy Bennett Kinnon, in an article entitled, "Mother wit: words of wisdom from black women" featured in Ebony, March, 1997 states, "On the surface, the dictionary definition is simply 'common sense,' a natural intelligence. But dig deeper and there's a history. There is a wealth of living in the word. motherwit. In Black history, the word usage began in the 1800s. Thus the word was born and distilled in the brutality of slavery and has survived to enter the new millennium. It was a code word then, and its still a code word for the knowledge you must have to survive. It is, as author Toni Morrison says, 'a knowing so deep' that the lesson has been instilled and distilled to its essence. Collectively these words are a gift -- from your own mother, or anyone's mother. They are wise words for life's journey."

With the above premise in mind, I hope to impart to you the pearls of wisdom that my mother has imparted to me to help you in this journey called life as it has and is helping me. Peace&Blessings. Tryexcellence.

3 comments:

Attorneymom said...

Thank God, for another positive blog. I will add you to my blog role.

I hope you keep this blog current and do not forget about it. : - )

field negro said...

Welcome my sister. I will add you as well.

And thanks for the love on your part.

Peace.

Unknown said...

Welcome to the afrosphere my sista! For what it's worth, your blog is now BBR #618 (out of 784)...

peace, Villager