Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Obama Rally With Oprah and Friends at UCLA -- Awesome!

On Sunday, Oprah Winfrey, Caroline Kennedy, Michelle Obama and suprise guest Maria Shriver appeared at UCLA to promote Sen. Obama's candidacy for President of the United States to Californians. The event was held two days before "Super Tuesday" a day in which Californians and voters from many other states around the country will cast their vote for their parties nomination for president. I watched this rally on C-SPAN and it was absolutely awesome! I loved Oprah's line in responding to disdain from women who claim that she is a traitor to her gender because she supports Obama. Oprah said,

After Iowa, some woman had the nerve to say to me, How could you, Oprah? How could you? You're a traitor to your gender. . . I was both surprised by that comment and insulted because I've been a woman my whole life and every part of me believes in the empowerment of women but the truth is I'm a free woman. Being free means you get to think for yourself. So I say, I am not a traitor . . I'm just following my own truth and that truth has led me to Barack Obama. . . . Don't play me small. I'm not that small. . . I would never vote for anybody because of gender or race. I'm not voting for Barack Obama because he's black. I'm voting for Barack Obama because he's brilliant."(SOURCE).
It is wonderful to see women with their own minds, exercising free-will to endorse the candidate who they believe is best for them and the country. Michelle, in my opinion, gave the best speech of the day when she talked about all that her husband has triumphantly overcome. It was a motivating and inspiring rally. Oh yeah, I can't forget Stevie. Stevie Wonder sang a beautiful melody to Obama's name. I haven't been able to get the melody out of my head. Awesome!

1 comment:

Ann Brock said...

Mother Wit Disclosed great article. You know the people that love Oprah think she can't think for her self.


When the Imus mess came up and she had on her show some people that had a different view from her usual audience they turned against her big time.

I went to her message board you would not believe what her mostly white audience was saying about her. All because she had a different thought from their's.

Michelle is a strong sister I love to here her speak. That sister looks like she don't take no mess about her family. The song Stevie sang was nice.