Sunday, December 30, 2007

Be Strong and Courageous -- Joshua 1:9


Hearing about the assasination of former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto was one of those news stories that froze time for me. I recall my mother and father telling me where they were when they heard the news that President John F. Kennedy and Martin Luther King, Jr. had been assasinated.

Similarly, hearing Matt Laurer of "The Today Show" announce the breaking news story of Ms. Bhutto's death was the same kind of announcement that made me stop, think and pause. It was about 5:30 a.m. and I was sitting in my living room with my entire family as we shared a few moments before they departed to return home from enjoying the Holidays with me and I left for work. I remember that we were all struck with extreme saddness upon hearing the news. Although Bhutto was a muslim, Pakistani woman, I had always felt a sense of commonality and kinship with her.

I remember being a teenage girl, attending a predominantly Caucasion high school and learning about her election to the position of Prime Minister. At that time, my interest was entering public office in some capacity at some point in the future. I was moved, touched and inspired that a woman of color could reach such heights of power and success. When she appeared on television shows like "Meet the Press" I'd stop whatever I was doing to listen to this beautiful and graceful woman share her agenda on how she was going to help lead her people. For me, Prime Minister Bhutto represented what was and is possible for every young woman of color.

Thus, the recent news of her assasination left me sad yet introspective about the whole idea of courage for conviction. I was reminded of a scripture that my church's youth director shared with me and that I never forgot when I went off to college: Be strong and of a good courage: for unto this people shalt thou divide for an inheritance the land, which I sware unto their fathers to give them. Joshua 1:6. Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest. Joshua 1:9.

Since her death, I've been frozen by the idea/word COURAGE. Is there anyting for which you would give your life? Is there something/someone that makes you step outside of the box -- that makes you want to do the extroadinary? This year challenge yourself in learning, understanding and advocating for ONE issue of importance to you. Complacency is not in order anymore. Like Ms. Bhutto, for what cause or for whom will you display Courage this day?

No comments: