Wednesday, January 9, 2008

The Obama Baby Does My Heart Good!



I must tell you that it is wonderful time to observe the current U.S. presidential race. For the first time in American history an African American has a serious chance of becoming the next President of the United States. As a black woman, it makes me proud, invigorated and encouraged to see Barack Obama contending for our Country's highest political office. To see Michelle Obama and their two little girls by his side simply warms my heart.

I haven't decided upon a candidate to support yet because I would like to know more about the Senator's position on issues of importance to me like the deployment of troops from Iraq, education reform, healthcare, violence in urban communities and national drug policy just to name a few. But it is great nonetheless to see him as a viable candidate in this presidential race.

My sister sent me this picture of my nephew in his Obama gear. Isn't he cute? I can't help but be grateful when I think that this baby has the same promise and potential as that of Senator Obama. When I look at the picture of my nephew and think of the fact that Barack Obama is being seriously considered for United States presidency, I'm reminded that Martin Luther King, Jr.'s hope that people not be judged by the color of their skin, but rather the content of their character is coming to fruition. For those of you who believe that I am saying that racism no longer exist. Stop. I'm not saying that at all. As a Black woman who has worked in law firms and lived in America I know that it exist. I also know that you cannot let anybody tell you what you can and cannot accomplish. Contrary to former President Bill Clinton's assertion, it is not a "fairytale" for a highly intelligent attorney, Senator and former community organizer who happens to be black to believe that he is the best person to help move this country forward.

Rather than listen to naysayers, Barack Obama presses forward in his bid for the White House. Therefore, I am overjoyed that my nephew has the same opportunities in this Country as that of Barack Obama provided that he let no man define him, but rather defines himself. So that's why it does my heart good to see Barack Obama in this race and to see my nephew in his Obama baby t-shirt. Now, may the best person win.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent post!

Unknown said...

Good post, and well-written.

Isn't it exciting that women have finally entered the arena as well?

Your nephew is precious!